Investing in Young Talent
a company is only as good as its workers
Finding suitable employees is an ongoing battle for businesses of any type. It can be harder still for companies to find workers in skilled trades, given the large percentage of young people who have chosen college paths over vocational careers in recent years. That's why competitive businesses must do everything in their power to stand out to a large but unevenly distributed workforce.
By the year 2020, more than 50% of the total US workforce will be millennials (currently ages 18-34). As a group, they have substantially different job expectations than the generations preceding them. For example:
- Millennials depend on smartphones for the majority of their web-browsing experiences. This includes searching for new jobs and assessing company websites.
- Job security is less important to millennials than the generations preceding them; they’re more likely to seek new positions even when already employed.
- Millennials put a lot of stock into flexibility and change. It may not be ideal, but appealing to the younger generation’s interests will put you higher on their list of ideal job opportunities.
Why Build the Process on Digital Marketing?
For companies that don’t depend on constantly finding new clients, it can be easy to fall behind when it comes to an online and social media presence. But for those same companies, it’s even more important to keep those channels open and thriving to maximize exposure to new talent for their workforce. The more exposure a company generates online, the more applications they’ll receive. And by drawing from a larger pool of candidates, they can choose only the best workers for their company.
The process of attracting talent doesn’t end at exposure. Even when you’ve captured the attention of those sought-after skilled workers, you still need to appeal to their preferences as job-seekers. If they’re viewing two websites side-by-side and only one of them has an online application form, you can guess which one will command their attention. It’s in their best interest to apply, and it’s in your best interest to make that process as easy for them as possible.
So what exactly constitutes an optimized website? To get the most out of your digital presence, your site should:
- Exhibit modern graphic design and layout standards
- Contain original and high-quality content specific to your company
- Make strategic use of the keywords that are used to search your industry
- Function properly on mobile devices
- Direct the user towards their goal in the fewest clicks possible